Our Editor-in-Chief, Katie Foley, recently explained why writers need Facebook Fan Pages. Sound advice. For me, three of the best reasons to have a Fan Page is that they are:
2. Constantly refreshed; and
3. Have an amazing link structure - both reciprocal and inbound.
The majority of what you do in social media should be non-marketing messages or things people can learn from or use whether they do business with you or not.
Ok, back to Fan Pages. Creating a Fan Page is the easy part - one of the most common questions that follows is what to post on the Fan Page once it is created. The majority of what you do in social media should be non-marketing messages or things people can learn from or use whether they do business with you or not. The minority of what's posted is a sprinkling of promotional items.
- Share about a writer that you admire or influenced you to write.
- Read other writers’ blogs and/or watch their videos and share interesting ones regularly.
- Share an inspiring quotation, with or without explanation.
- Share a funny anecdote about something that happened while you were finishing your next masterpiece.
- Share what inspires you and ask your readers what inspires them, too.
- Share a quick how-to. Something you take for granted every day can be a lifesaver when someone new learns how to do it.
- Share events or webinars that your readers may want to participate in to improve their writing skills.
- Share a news article related to a topic that you may be writing about this week.
- Make up a Top 10 List about something and post it.
- Create a “Why I Love…” post. Could be about your community, a person, a company, or a product.
Share useful tools you use to aid in your writing process and where to get them. Like Many Kind Regards' The Write Resource.
- Share some Do’s and Don’ts about writing.
- Share about why you started writing in the first place.
Post about the MKR Writing Community and any other groups - face-to-face and online - you belong to that have helped you improve your craft.
- Post your “In a perfect world” wish list.
- Post a Question of the Day or Week.
- Take a poll about a controversial topic.
- Answer a frequently asked question.
- Share (and tag) other Fan Pages you participate in.
- Post your latest blog posts.
Many Kind Regards,
Looking to get into Freelance writing but don't know where to begin? Rebecca's got some tips for you here.